7 Ways To Improve Your Church’s Online Visibility
Promoting your church through search engine optimization is a must in order to generate more traffic. Here are some great tips that will help keep your church website listed at the top of search results:
- List your church with Google Places. Google Places is free for businesses and non-profits to list their site. Google Places displays businesses and non-profits according to the geographical location of the user.
- Include important keywords on the main page of your website that highlight any special services or audiences that will be searched by your target market, and make sure to constantly update your website content. Make sure to include relevant blogs and articles on the site as well. Relevant content is important because it will increase the chances that users will find your church easily.
- Include external links on your site. In return, request that those sites you link to will provide links back to your site. If you are affiliated with an activity or youth center in the area, ask to exchange links with the center. External links and back links will help your search engine page rank.
- Make sure your church homepage loads quickly. Google now considers page load time as one of the variables in the formula for page ranking. The faster the church homepage loads, the higher the page will be ranked in major search engine results.
- Make sure your church site includes a site map page with appropriate links and images with proper descriptions.
- List your church site with popular social sites such as Digg and Del.icio.us.
- Ask members of the congregation to link to the church site on their websites and blog to help increase visibility. Your Google ranking is partly determined by the number of links to your site are included on other sites and blogs. More links should help your site maintain a higher page rank in Google.
Here’s a great infographic from Searchengineland.com to help explain the science behind SEO.