Dealing with and Handling Returns: A How To Primer
A great returns policy is a great tool for any business. A clearly stated, fair policy makes your business trustworthy to customers, and makes them much more comfortable making purchases from your store. How your store handles returns can define your customer service, greatly impact customers’ views of your store, and can directly affect the profitability of your store.
Here are the basics to dealing with and handling returns.
- Choosing your policy: There is no one right return policy. You have to figure out the policy that works for your business. Your best bet, however, is to try as best as you can to give the customers what they want. It may cost your business some expense, but it is worth it in keeping customers and drawing new ones in. Try to charge your customer as little as possible, even nothing if you can. That will give your customers a return policy that they will love! Its not a bad thing to not have a full refund policy on all returns. If you have exceptions, just make sure they are clearly stated and applied fairly.
- Tell them about it: Make sure your return policy is clearly stated and well published across your site. If your customers know your return policy before they make purchases, there will be far fewer problems when a customer wants to make a returns. Being sure that all your customers can see and understand your return policy is key to dealing with returns.
- Integrate customer service with returns: Great customer service is about building a relationship with the customer. Your customer service should be just as good when dealing with a sale as it is when you’re dealing with a return. Make sure your customers are helped and supported through the process, and you will keep that customer for the future.
- Make it quick: A quick return process is great both for you and for the customer. Customers want to be refunded as quickly as possible, and you want to get your product back into stock and sold again as quickly as possible. Track the status and resolution of returns to know where your product is throughout the return process, and to know when customers have been refunded and when they still need to be refunded. A quick return makes things better for both parties.
- Consider using a returns management system: A great returns management system could save you a ton of time, and help utilize all the tips above plus more. Bizelo’s eRetail Returns Management App can simplify returns management, saving you time and money! A returns management application could be just what your business needs.
We know that handling returns stinks. No business wants to see a customer dissatisfied with their product. But no matter how great your product is, returns will happen. They are a staple of retail. Take returns as an opportunity to give your business a great name, and an opportunity to give your customers something they will love! Dealing with returns the right way can do great things for your business.